Dementia Caring provides high quality home care for people living with dementia. As a locally-based team, we offer dementia support for Cairns locals at all stages of the illness, including:
- domestic assistance (e.g. help with housework, laundry and cleaning)
- personal care (e.g. help with showering and grooming)
- cooking and meal preparation for good nutrition
- shopping assistance
- transport to medical appointments and social engagements
- medication management
- clinical care in the home environment
- allied health therapy (e.g. physiotherapy, occupational therapy)
- social engagement activities and companionship
- rehabilitation services and help with regaining life skills
- arranging home maintenance and gardening
- assistance with home modifications (e.g. adapting a bathroom to make it more accessible for your needs)
- mobility equipment (e.g. walkers, lift chairs, pressure care mattresses)
- 24 hour dementia care at home
- respite care when your loved one or carer needs a break
- assistance with safe exercise and mental wellbeing
Who we are
Dementia Caring provides personalised support that promotes independence and comfort – in a way that is uniquely suited to your needs. We believe care is all about the person, and aim to give people living with dementia dignity, purpose and choice over their care.
We also pride ourselves in providing exceptional dementia care services for Cairns residents, based on best practice therapies and our connections to the local healthcare community. Our team – all highly-trained and experienced locals – truly care about the people they care for. We stay up to date with the latest research and are passionate about providing high quality service to our customers.
We are also open to receiving feedback, and encourage our customers to get in touch if their care could be better.
Government funded dementia care in Cairns
Are you looking for dementia support services in Cairns, subsidised by the government? Dementia Caring is a registered Home Care Package and NDIS provider. If you have been approved for a Home Care Package, we can deliver your government-funded services, and help you build a package that best suits your needs.
Below are some common questions you may have about dementia care:
What is home care?
Home care is a type of aged care support that you can receive in your own home, to help you with everyday activities – for example, cooking, cleaning, personal care, getting a lift to the shops.
If you are living with dementia and over the age of 65, you can access a range of services to help you continue living at home, depending on your individual needs. Government funded home care is called a Home Care Package. It is offered at 4 different levels:
Level 1 – basic care needs
Level 2 – low care needs
Level 3 – intermediate care needs
Level 4 – high care needs
How much does home care cost in Australia?
If you are 65 years and over, you may qualify for in home dementia care services subsidised by the Australian government. This means that the cost of your care is partly funded by the government, making it much more affordable to you. They payment is made directly to a provider that you choose.
The amount of support you can receive depends on the Home Care Package level that you have been allocated after your assessment. You will be asked to financially contribute towards your care through three types of fees:
- a basic daily fee
- an means-tested care fee
- any additional fees charged by your care provider.
You may not have to pay all of these fees, as it depends on your financial circumstances and the fees charged by your provider.
To start receiving a Home Care Package, you need to apply for an assessment. You can do this by either by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visiting the My Aged Care website (or you can nominate someone to do this on your behalf). After applying, you will be contacted to arrange an in-person assessment to determine what kind of assistance you might be eligible for.
If you would like assistance or English is your second language, give us a call on 1300 792 691 for guidance. We’re happy to help you through the entire process/
What specialist dementia care services do you provide?
We provide in home dementia care in Carins that includes specialised therapies. All of our techniques are backed by the latest research by experts into best practice dementia care. We offer:
- Music and memory therapy – this type of therapy stimulates the mind and senses through music, and helps participants meaningfully connect to past memories and associations.
- Reminiscence therapy – we use photos, music, sights and sounds to reach memories that reside in the functional parts of the brain and enhance memory
- This is your Life storytelling – together, we create a visual diary of mementos and memorabilia to improve self-esteem and create meaningful connections with the past and present
- Sensory therapy – using specialist techniques and incorporating Montessori products designed for people with dementia, this type of therapy can help improve engagement, independence and confidence
- Validation therapy – this technique accepts and recognises that rather than trying to bring someone back to our reality, it is more positive and beneficial to enter theirs. By validating past memories, a person living with dementia also feels significant. This in turn brings greater self-esteem and promotes overall happiness.
Do you provide care in other locations around Australia?
Yes, we do. Our dementia carer teams provide their services around Australia, from Canberra to parts of NSW, Queensland, Darwin, Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia – in both metropolitan, rural and regional cities. To find out if we provide home care for elderly with dementia in your local area, please get in touch.
Are you looking for in home dementia support services in Cairns? We’re more than happy to help. Please get in touch to organise a free consultation with one of our dementia care experts.